03 July 2018
IRF steering the WGs of the National ITS Committee in India
- To work in with departments of Govt. Of India, States and cities to take stock of the current initiatives and building consensus towards a coherent National ITS policy.
- To identify specific pilots in partnership with willing city governments and implement it.
- Raising awareness about initiatives at all levels of government
- Constitute three working groups on following themes to come out with a set of policy recommendations for the consideration of the committee: Education, Legal aspects and innovation
- Ensuring the link between specifications elaborated within the working groups and the pilot projects
- Ensuring that the input from the working groups and pilot projects is reflected in a policy that is developed.
Each working group is chaired by Shri Balraj Bhanot, Adviser, International Road federation (IRF) and Ex. Director ARAI to steer the proceedings to its desired outcome under overall guidance of ITS Committee. First meeting of ITS Committee took place on 23rd March,2018 and following task were assigned to three Working Groups:
WG 1 – ITS Capacity-Building and Awareness
- Sound analysis of the actual situation in the country at government level, at academia level and general public at large and suggest corrective measures
- Provide recommendations for the development of an integrated curriculum for ITS at academic level
- Provide recommendations for the creation of continuous professional training programmes, identify institutions and expert structures at state and city level
- ide recommendations for the development of awareness/education campaigns
WG 2 – ITS Institutional and Regulatory Frameworks
- Creation of an appropriate institutional and regulatory framework for promotion of ITS
- Develop a roadmap for creating an appropriate institutional set up and regulatory framework for ITS deployment and uptake in identified areas
- Identify priority areas of regulatory intervention that could help unlock the potential of ITS and deliver quick wins in areas defined in Annexure-I.
WG 3–ITS Standards, Security and Innovation
- Status review of standardisation and its harmonisation for expeditious expansion of ITS in a cost effective manner
- Identify areas for standardization, Security and draw a roadmap with BIS, DoT (TEC, TSDSI & CDoT) (collaboration with WG2)
- Provide recommendations on how to foster the dialogue and collaboration between the private and the public sector to boost innovation and R&D in the country for expeditious expansion of ITS
In the first two meetings of WGs, eight pillars of priority areas of activities have been identified for an initial focus and a review of pilots in the country is currently being carried out.
If you wish to be learn more about this work and get involved in the WGs, please contacts asap the IRF Secretariat at firstname.lastname@example.org